» Event Calendar
- April 3, 2015WonderCon
- May 7, 2015Horror Writer's Society 25th Aniversary Horror Fest
- May 22, 2015Denver Comic Con
» NEW RELEASES!!!
» NOW AVAILABLE!
01Publishing organized a signing day with for local, SoCal creators at Southern California Comics in San Diego and what a day it was. Awesome creators, awesome new fans. A great day was had by all!! Huge thank you to Jamie, the owner for hosting this event.
Owner Kat Rocha and creator Josh Finney man the 01Publishing table.
JK Woodward and Josh Finney chat with Terence Anthony of Protege.
JK Woodward and the lovely Monica chat with Bob Bretal, Guiness Record Holder for the most comics and Comic Spectrum journalist.
Terence Anthony (Protege) and Rebecca Hicks (Little Vampires)
Awesome podcasters, FanboyNation chat with writer/editor Tom Waltz.
Podcaster extrodinaire, Cory Strode of Solitaire Rose Radio and Kray Z Comics Podcast sat down with Josh Finney, Patrick McEvoy and Kat Rocha for an awesome and entertaining two part interview about Kaiju, comics, Cthulhu, art, and much more! Strap in and listen to a great show!
So Cal Comics in San Diego is hosting a signing event for 01Publishing. And what an event this is turning into. Not only are 01 creators going to be there, but some of the most talented writers/artists in Southern California will also be in attendance. This is a great opportunity to meet these awesome people, and start your holiday shopping early.
When: Saturday November 15th at 11am
Where: So Cal Comics
8280 Clairemont Mesa Blvd #124
San Diego, CA 92111
James Kenneth Woodward
For more information visit SoCalComics.com
… and we are very impressed with the results!
“Whispers from the Abyss Volume 2″
An H.P. Lovecraft Inspired Anthology
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
We’re looking for short stories between 2500-4500 words that can be read in one sitting. Flash fiction is also welcome. We want authors hungry to play in the twisted universe envisioned by H.P. Lovecraft, or write tales that are in the spirit of his mythos. Like Lovecraft’s own work, the horror in this anthology aims to be subtle and subjective. The mind and its inner working are a far more terrifying place than the actual corridors of R’lyeh or the Mountains of Madness.
Ideally this anthology should hit readers like a really good mix tape (or iMix for those of you too young to remember what a cassette is). We want a variety of styles, themes, and moods that hook the readers fast, creep the hell out of them, and leave them wanting more. Experimentation is highly encouraged–especially unconventional narrative styles, meta-fiction, genre mash-ups, even sick humor. Of course, don’t be afraid to stick with the tried and true “ravings of a madman,” if that’s your jones.
A penny per word up to 4500 words and a digital copy of the anthology. Two physical copies will be provided once the book is printed in 2016.
WHAT WE’RE NOT LOOKING FOR:
Consider this anthology to have a hard R rating. That said, please no stories involving graphic rape or child molestation. Excessive gore is fine, but must function to further the story. Here is a list of themes and elements that will get your story instantly rejected:
1. Cthulhu taking center stage. The big cheese can appear in dreams, statues, visions, etc. Characters can even come across the aftermath of someplace Cthulhu has destroyed. Just as long as we never “see” old squid face we’re happy.
2. No story that features action akin to a Hollywood big budget disaster film. In fact, Hollywood-isms are best to be avoided.
3. No Steampunk.
No “it was all a dream” plots.
No rape scenes.
4. Story must come first. Personal politics are fine, but please no sociopolitical diatribes masquerading as a story. Excessive political correctness, grandstanding, and tokenism will be instantly rejected.
5. Lovecraft’s Mythos exists in a functionally atheist universe. It is fine for characters to hold deep religious beliefs–but they cannot hold any metaphysical weight. Jesus, Jehovah, biblical angels/demons etc. cannot make an appearance to save the day. Nor can the Great Old Ones be defeated by the power of Christ/Allah/Xenu/etc.
1. In the first Whispers from the Abyss Anthology nearly half of all the submissions received focused on the Deep Ones and Dagon. Innsmouth stories are absolutely welcome, but exploring other aspects of the Mythos is encouraged, especially the Mi-Go, Nyarlathotep, the Cthulhu Cult, The Great Race of Yith, Star Spawn, and Giant Albino Penguins. Also, creating new additions to the Mythos are encouraged.
2. Do not emulate HP Lovecraft’s writing style. As stated, we want authors to play in the twisted universe envisioned by H.P. Lovecraft, so use your own voice and style. No nostalgia, please.
3. We have a real appreciation for sick humor.
WHERE WILL THIS BE PUBLISHED:
This anthology will first be published digitally on the Kindle as well as available as a downloadable PDF. The following year it will then go to print as a physical book.
We retain the right to print your story for Whispers from the Abyss Vol. 2 in digital format (ePub, mobi, pdf, etc.). We require a three month period of exclusivity from the date of first publication.
- All Submissions Must Be In By May 30, 2015
- All stories must be submitted to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- With your submission please include a two sentence “elevator pitch” describing your story in the body of the email.
- All submissions must be saved in a Rich Text Format
- All submission emails must be entitled “HPL Submission: your story title” each story must be submitted in it’s own email if you are submitting more than one.
- All submission emails must include your name and email address.
- If your submission has previously been published please let us know the publication name and date. Previously published works are welcome but we would like to know where it was seen first, where it was published most recently (if more than once) and how long ago.
Publication date is Summer/Fall 2015 More info at www.01publishing.com
Want to know what came before? Check out Whispers from the Abyss Vol.1
Eldrich Horror Now Infects Multiple Platforms
Hot on the heals of Revelations of Zang by John R. Fultz withdrawing it’s exclusivity status with Kindle, Whispers from the Abyss is also available on multiple formats to all digital readers. Now the horror you experience on your commute home from work can be accessed through multiple platforms besides the Kindle including the Nook, Kobo, and independent programs such as Drive Thru. This news comes just in time with the pending release of the Whispers from the Abyss Paperback on Nov. 4th.
Whispers from the Abyss is the first Lovecraft inspired anthology tailored specifically for the commuter audience.
On the subway, during lunch, or even under the fluorescent glow of your cubical—there is no escape! Now your slow descent into madness can follow you through the day, as well as the night. The WHISPERS FROM THE ABYSS ANTHOLOGY is the first ever H.P. Lovecraft inspired collection created specifically for readers on the go. All 33 spine-chilling tales are concentrated bites of terror which include works by Greg Stolze (Delta Green), Nick Mamatas (Shotguns v. Cthulhu), Tim Pratt (Marla Mason), Dennis Detwiller (Delta Green), Greg Van Eekhout (The Boy at the End of the World), A.C. Wise (Future Lovecraft), David Tallerman (Giant Thief), Silvia Moreno-Garcia (Future Lovecraft), John R. Fultz (Seven Prices), Chad Fifer (The H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast).
Revelations of Zang by John R. Fultz, the quill and sorcery epic, is no longer a Kindle exclusive. For almost the entire time Zang has been availible digitally, only those who had the Kindle or Kindle app could experience the adventures of Artifice the Quill, Taizo, and the Glimmer Fair.
01Publishing is happy to announce that this exceptional collection of stories by Fultz is now available to other platforms and fans who use other readers.
To date, you can now find Revelations of Zang Revelations of Zang is a collection of dark fantasy tales with a metaphysical edge, full of grotesque wonders and weird splendor. Artifice the Quill flees from tyrant sorcerers into a world of strange magic, ancient gods, and exotic kingdoms. The exiled author joins a traveling troupe of performers known as the Glimmer Faire, where he learns the magical power of art and the art of magical power. These Twelve Tales of the Continent alternate between the exploits of Artifice and the adventures of Taizo the Rogue, a master of skullduggery who sparks a rebellion in the name of bloody vengeance.
01Publishing’s own Kat Rocha and Josh Finney will be participating in two pannels this weekend at the San Diego Comic Fest.
Kickstarter Do’s and Dont’s
Kickstarter projects have become a preferred way of funding independent pop culture projects. However, while many projects are funded, some many times over, others never meet their goals. Learn the do’s and don’ts of Kickstart projects from panelists who have been there and done that successfully.
Not only are giant monsters, well… big, they’re back on the screen. From Japanese men in rubber suits to computer graphics the effects have evolved, but have the stories?
Come out and join the fun October 17-19 at the San Diego Town and Country Resort and Convention Center
500 Hotel Circle North San Diego, CA 92108 -
See more at: www.sdcomicfest.org/hotel/
Whispers from the Abyss (01 Publishing) describes itself as “An anthology of H.P. Lovecraft insired short fiction.” But the authors within its pages are no slavish Elvis tribute acts. Instead, they are his mutant bastard offspring, whose mission is to misbehave dreadfully and have a wonderful time doing so. These Children of the Night run amok, gleefully trashing the very idea of florid prose and pseudo-intellectual claptrap of which the Great Old One himself was sometimes guilty. Instead, they tear down the walls, splinter the timbers, rip out the wiring and delight in sending to the bottom of the ocean the HMS Lovecraft – and all who sail in her.
There are chunks of true brilliance within these pages….
He spotlighted stories by John R. Fults, Jason Andrews, David Tallerman, James Brogden and Josh Finney. You can read the rest of the article at AmazingStoriesMag.com
Whispers from the Abyss is a Lovecraft inspired anthology of short fiction aimed at commuters and readers on the go. You can pre-order your copy from Amazon.com
or tell your local book store to order yours through Baker & Taylor.